Rewrite Image File Names

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter
(@moderworks)

Thanks for support!

Unfortunately, with file names everything is incorrectly implemented. My opinion.

Example. How to do:

User uploads a image with the name: bad.jpg
The name is automatically overwritten by 1567888_243.jpg or something like that.

The ability to change names from the toolbar is cool, but not necessary. Automatic change of names when adding a file would be much more convenient.

---

The user will add a picture with the name f * ck.img and it will be indexed until the moderator notices this.

In addition, f * ck will be added to alt and title. This is very bad. Google will put on the site filter 18+

Do not take alt and title from the title of the image. This is bad for seo. It is better to take the name for pictures from the title of the topic, probably, as it is implemented in many other forums.

Customer
Topic starter
(@moderworks)

Meaningless alt and title

2019 07 12 113656
1 Reply
Astghik
Admin
(@astgh)

Illustrious Member

@moderworks,

Thank you for this suggestion, however, this is not useful for other wpForo users. We've understood your opinion, however, in most cases other forum admins need images from their forums to be crawled by Google.

The user will add a picture with the name f * ck.img and it will be indexed until the moderator notices this.

In such cases, you can always use the wpForo moderation feature. wpForo has the "Min number of posts to be able attach files" option, that allows only trusted members to attach files.

More info here:

https://wpforo.com/community/wpforo-announcements/wpforo-1-2-0-is-released/#post-7888

It is better to take the name for pictures from the title of the topic, probably, as it is implemented in many other forums.

In this case, also members can write bad words in topic titles and the image names will be turned as uncensored words.

Customer
Topic starter
(@moderworks)

It is strange that other users like it. But nothing can be done, the majority opinion really is more important.

Customer
Topic starter
(@moderworks)

Understood with the new functionality to change the file headers in the admin panel. The image title is changed, not the name of the image itself (when working with images). It's great that now there is such an opportunity. And it's great for SEO, if you are not lazy and write the appropriate headlines.

But! Is it really so difficult to rewrite the file names automatically? When you upload them to the server. This functionality is found in many CMS. Example: f * ck.jpg at 1567_26899801.jpg

It is not clear to me what good can be of this.

Anyway, thanks for your work. This is a good plugin!

1 Reply
 Tom
Admin
(@tomson)

Famed Member

Ok @moderworks,

As far as I see your forum users upload files with bad words in file name and you want avoid those words indexed by google. I see your concern and we'll try to add some option to help you. We need time for this change, I'll update you once we did it.

Customer
Topic starter
(@moderworks)

Thank you very much! I will wait.

Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to top