Merging old comments info with new plugin

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Customer
Topic starter
(@theartofpandora)

Hello,

I have just installed the plugin and it appears to be working fine.

I keep an open comments system with no login so am struggling to get some of the features such as profile pic and biography to work.

Out of interest I created a new user for one of my top commenters and managed to add a profile pic and bio. It showed up on when clicking on the user however it no longer showed post history and the number of posts that this person had made.

How do I go about connecting the two given that I would like to show both?

Thank you

2 Replies
 Tom
Admin
(@tomson)
Famed Member

Hi theartofpandora,

Comments are attached to users by IDs(for registered users) or by emails (for Guests). You've changed user ID and lost the relationship between user and comments. I'm sorry but there is no way to re-attach them. The wp_comemnts table in database stores all comments with their user data, if you create a new user for some guest you should change all comments authors IDs to that users. This is a custom database manipulation and you should ask some developer to do this ind of work. We don't provide such services.

Customer
Topic starter
(@theartofpandora)

Thank you Tom. Actually I deleted the user that I created and that changed the relationship back, so no worries on that front.

I prefer the guest/email relationship as it is easier for users to comments without passwords. It means there are less options for personalisation but I am working on it...

Share:
Scroll to top