Notifications
Clear all

Guests cannot edit comments even though editing is enabled.

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@4720pmt)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Read comments from earlier 2018. Just in last couple of weeks, users on my site have advised that, even though commenting is set now for unlimited editing (was 15 mins, then 3 hrs) no post can be edited after it is published. I have created a test posting, approved it, and found that this is the the case. What is the fix, please?

Tom
(@tomson)
Famed Member Admin

Hi @4720pmt,

I think there is a JS error coming from other plugins. JS errors affects all other plugins functions and stop those. Please lave some URL to your website to allow us debug it.

ReplyQuote
(@4720pmt)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Sure...

www.about-air-compressors.com

It worked before, and I haven't added any new plugins in months, though WP updated again recently.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@pixual)
Member Customer

This is an ongoing problem for me as well. I just updated my last post, but we continue to have this problem and I have tried many solutions (disable plugins etc) with no success.

ReplyQuote
 Tom
(@tomson)
Famed Member Admin

@4720pmt and @pixual,

Please note that the comment editing is only designed for users. There is no comment editing feature for guests. There is no any secure way to detect guest comments and allow the correct owners edit it because they are not authorized and don't have authorization information.

Even if we use cookies it would be insecure too. So please forget about guest editing options and don't think this is a bug.

ReplyQuote
(@4720pmt)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Makes sense to me, though for what it is worth, I've had a visitor/guest complain that a short while ago they were able to edit their own comments.

Not being able to makes more sense, and I am OK with that.

Thanks to all for your help and comments.

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@4720pmt)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

And a brief note to the above... if the site owner/plugin user can edit their own comments or reponses, what then is the point of "allowing editing" for a certain period of time. Why would the site owner not have the ability to edit any of their own posts or comments, anytime each was in existence. Why have an option to change that if only the site owner / administrator can make an edit?

ReplyQuote
(@pixual)
Member Customer

It seems to me as well that we had the ability to have guests edit their posts, but I can see that would be a security risk. Was this feature removed at some point?

Kim

ReplyQuote
(@pixual)
Member Customer

@4720pmt

We used to have users on the site when we had forums. Then we eliminated the users (this might be when they lost the ability to edit their comments?). You can have logged in users to your website but we found that the administration overhead was too high.

ReplyQuote
(@pixual)
Member Customer

Hey, one more point here, the plugin specifically states that editing comments is for guests and logged in users. If you have taken that away due to security concerns could you at least let us know and perhaps update the plugin so we know that editing is for logged in users only?

https://wpdiscuz.com/docs/wpdiscuz-documentation/settings/comment-form/#allow_editing
(plugin documentation)

This post was modified 4 years ago by SiteBastion

ReplyQuote
 Tom
(@tomson)
Famed Member Admin

@pixual

Sorry for my mistake, wpDiscuz does allow guests to edit comments within X minute. You can test it in wpDiscuz Demo website: https://wpdiscuz.com/demo/

Please leave your website URL to allow us test it. If the cookies are allowed on your website then the Guest Comment Editing should also work. If you have some plugin which limits cookies or if visitors use Browser Private Sessions they have no chance to see the edit button.

ReplyQuote
(@pixual)
Member Customer

@tomson

I have another open forum thread regarding this problem here:

https://gvectors.com/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/edit-button-missing-from-guest-comment-posts/#post-19402

In short, I have disabled ALL plugins, I no longer us cache, so it's not a plugin or caching incompatibility - there is another problem here, and apparently I'm not the only one with the problem.

Please read through the other forum thread for more information.

Thanks,

Kim

ReplyQuote
Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

ok @pixual,

Please send the login details to info[at]gvectors.com one more time to allow the developers to check the issue. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to top