Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Editing comments

19 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

About three days ago readers of my blog stopped being able to edit their comments once they posted them. I have the default set for 15 minutes. And I made no changes to my settings.

Topic Tags
 Tom
(@tomson)
Famed Member Admin

Hi bullishengulfing,

Where can we test it? Please leave some URL.

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Here's the url:

www.hungarianspectrum.org

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

To the support team: I should add that some readers of hungarianspectrum.org report being able to edit their comments, though others claim they can't. And the distinction isn't between subscriber and guest.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bullishengulfing,

Please check the functions.php file of your active theme, and if you find the following code remove it and test again.

remove_action( 'set_comment_cookies', 'wp_set_comment_cookies' );

Also, could you please deactivate the WP Super Cache plugin and check again? 

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

Unfortunately, the comment cookies line was not in the functions.php file of the blog's active theme, Suits. Deactivating the WP Super Cache plugin also made no difference.

To further zero in on the problem, I should note that when I log in as administrator I can edit my comments. When I log in as an ordinary user, I can't; there is simply no "edit" box. In both cases, I am using Chrome as my browser. Some users report that they can edit their own comments, but most complain that they can't.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bullishengulfing,

We couldn't find such an issue on our test websites. This is something specific on your website.  We'll need admin accesses to find and fix the issue. Could you please send login details to info[at]gvectors.com email address to allow us to debug it. 

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

It has now been a week since I sent login details to your email address. Since I have heard nothing from you, I'm wondering whether you got my email (actually, two emails) and whether you were able to access the site to try to debug it. The problem persists. Most users still can't edit their comments, although, with administrative access, one can. That is, the "edit" box simply doesn't appear for most users. Please confirm whether you have received my emails and whether you are working on the problem. Thanks.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @bullishengulfing,

I've just checked and found your mail in the Spam folder. I've already sent the login details to our developers. They are going to check it.  Please inform us whatever you sent us an email. The mail can go to spam folder. 

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bullishengulfing,

Please install and activate the Duplicator — WordPress Migration Plugin, backup your WordPress site and send it to info[at]gvectors.com email address to allow us to check it. We cannot check it on your live website.  

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

I have emailed you (both info and support) links to Dropbox files that I hope can enable you to debug my site.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you @bullishengulfing,

I've already asked our developers to check the issue. I'll let you know asap 

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bullishengulfing,

Please delete the wpDiscuz plugin via FTP, install and activate it again and let us know. 

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

I did as you requested (outlined in more detail in my email to you), and no dice. Nothing has changed. There is still no "edit" box.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @bullishengulfing,

The issue is fixed on your website. Please check it. We've modified some wpDiscuz files. This changes will be included in the wpDiscuz plugin as well in the next version release. 

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

The editing function of the plugin works only for certain providers. For instance, if I post a comment using a gmail or aol address, the edit button shows. If, on the other hand, I use comcast or me.com as a provider, it doesn't. I hope this points you in the right direction for a complete fix. Thanks very much for your work thus far.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

yes @bullishengulfing,

we see the problem we'll fix it asap. We don't need the login details yet, but probably we'll need it one more time after as soon as we finish improving the function.

Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @bullishengulfing,

The issue is fixed on your website. Please check it. 

(@bullishengulfing)
Topic starter  

Looks good. Thanks very much for your work.

Astghik reacted
Share:
Scroll to top