Notifications
Clear all

Minimum SMF Tables Needed for go2wpforo Migration

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

What tables/folders are needed at a minimum to perform an SMF to WPForo migration?  I have to move the SMF forum over to a new server and only want to bring over the tables that the migration tool needs. Also, do I need the web file structure (SMF files) in place on the new server that is on the old one?

Topic Tags
Elvina
(@elvina)
Support

Hi @mosleythecat

Thank you for your interesting in wpForo plugin.

Haven't you tried to migrate the forum via Go2wpForo tool?

The tool has many Available Migrations, and the SMF to wpForo is one of them.

More info here:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/migrate-to-wpforo/

So you'll just need to run the Go2wpForo tool and migrate your forum, no necessary to do any migration manually. 

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

Thanks @Elvina. That is what I am attempting to do. I just wanted to know which tables and/or files the tool needs to have in place to perform the migration. Obviously it wouldn't need the log tables or Themes folder, but perhaps it requires the Attachments folder, etc. 

I would prefer to not have to move over everything to the new server, thus the reason I am asking. 

ReplyQuote
Elvina
(@elvina)
Support

@mosleythecat,

Once you run the tool you'll see the all necessary instructions you should pay attention to. Please see the screenshot below:

SMF migration

I just wanted to know which tables and/or files the tool needs to have in place to perform the migration. 

Here is table list:

• members
  • categories
  • boards
  • topics
  • attachments

Please note the tables may have some prefixes. 

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

@elvina

Perfect. The screenshot you sent does not show until after you complete setting the database information. I think it would be nice to see general instructions about everything you need show up first. 

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

My uploads folder has both attachments and avatars subfolders. Do I put both SMF attachments and avatars in the wpforo attachments folder as shown in the screenshot, or into their relative subfolders?

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

After running the convertor, my browser showed a 504 Gateway Time-out. It looks like all the users and forums are there, but the topics and posts topped out at 800. Is there a server setting that needs to be changed in order to allow large SMF forums to be migrated?

ReplyQuote
Elvina
(@elvina)
Support

@mosleythecat,

I've just asked our developers and currently I'm waiting for the response from them.
I'll update the topic asap.

ReplyQuote
Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @mosleythecat,

We recommend you always do the migration locally then move it to the server to escape such kind of issue.

If you don't lose the URL (i.e. you don't close the window after you get the error), you can continue the migration just by calling the URL.
Just decrease the items to import per cycle. You can find that value at the end of the URL. If you don't change anything you'll see the 200 number at the end of URL, so please change it and make 50, then press enter.

If the URL is lost it, and you don't have any important information in wpForo, please uninstall wpForo, find and install wpForo again start the migration process again with the instruction I've provided below.

In case if you have some important information in wpForo and can't uninstall wpForo, please restore the backup of wpForo tables, you'd done before the migration process and start the migration again.

Please read this article it may be helpful for you: https://memberfix.rocks/migrate-to-wpforo/

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

@astghik

So, I cleaned up everything and attempted again setting it to 50 per cycle.  I received the 504 Gateway Time-out again, but processing continued after I refreshed the page.  The processing icon continued on, but looking in phpMyAdmin, I noticed that the posts and topics table had stopped at 1200 records. I check again 20 minutes later (screen still showed it was processing), and it had made no progress.

I called that URL again, and it went back to the SMF Database Connection page. All progress had stopped.

Besides processing locally, what would you suggest?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@engagingemotions)

@mosleythecat If it helps I just did a test migration from SMF to wpForo of a forum with around 10,000 topics, 150,000 posts and 4000+ members. This was done on the same server. That is, I have a SMF forum in one folder on /public_html and a WP installation in another folder. Obviously using the same mySQL server but this performed perfectly, no errors ..... but took 4 hours!

@astghik Can you confirm that this is what you mean when you say "...do the migration locally"? 'Locally' meaning 'on the same server'.  

ReplyQuote
Astghik
(@astgh)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you @engagingemotions

Can you confirm that this is what you mean when you say "...do the migration locally"? 'Locally' meaning 'on the same server'.  

I mean that it would be more effective if you do the migration on the localhost, if the migration is completed, you should move the forum to the server.

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/what-is-local-host/

Probably the maximum execution time is not enough for doing such migration. That's why we recommend doing the migration on the localhost.

Posted by: @mosleythecat

So, I cleaned up everything and attempted again setting it to 50 per cycle.  I received the 504 Gateway Time-out again, but processing continued after I refreshed the page.  

This mean that you should use time lower than 50. This depends on your maximum execution value. We cannot say for sure the value that you should use.

The processing icon continued on, but looking in phpMyAdmin, I noticed that the posts and topics table had stopped at 1200 records. I check again 20 minutes later (screen still showed it was processing), and it had made no progress.

Here you should pay attention to the browser loading bar. Doesn't matter what the icons display. Just check and make sure the browser loading bar is processed.

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

@engagingmotions

This one is currently 24k topics and 360k posts.  Going to try again setting it to 10 per cycle.

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

One hour in with it set at 10/cycle and it has migrated 3500 users.  Since these are just test runs, I am going to stop it and try at 30/cycle.

@astghik

Is there any way to do an incremental migration, so when I do this for real, I only have to bring in the deltas? I know that won't capture changes to existing records.

ReplyQuote
(@mosleythecat)
Topic starter  

After many failures, I finally set up a WP instance on my Mac with MAMP and ran the migration. It took twelve hours.

Do I need to keep the mg2wpfor table? And while my smf_messages table had an index of 65 MiB, the wp_wpforo_posts table has one of 650 MiB. Is this normal?

ReplyQuote
Elvina
(@elvina)
Support

@mosleythecat,

Please follow Robert's answer in this support topic:

https://wpforo.com/community/migrate-to-wpforo-from-other-forum-plugins/migration-tool-database-table/#post-8530

Please note the questions related to the core free wpForo plugin should be asked in the wpForo Support Forum. Here we support issues related to wpForo paid addons. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to top